- Hawaii County News - Mamalahoa Highway improvements in Waimea to begin
Wednesday17Feb2010Wednesday, February 17, 2010 at 8:01AM
A widening and improvement project for Mamalahoa Highway through Waimea town is scheduled to begin this month. The estimated seven-month project when completed will alleviate traffic congestion and improve traffic flow through the town%u2019s center.
Goodfellow Bros. is the contractor for the project, which encompasses a stretch of roadway from North Hawaii Community Hospital to the 56-mile marker east of Waimea.
Included in the project are:
- A new center left turn lane on M%u0101malahoa Highway from Kinohou Street to the 56 mile marker
- Improve the existing traffic signal at the Kam%u0101malu Street intersection
- Relocating the center median strip which runs by Church Row
- Additional lanes and improvement of drainage along a 4,900-foot stretch of the roadway
All improvements are based on the Waimea Traffic Circulation Study commissioned by the County in 2006 with input from the Waimea community to retain the rural, ranching character of Waimea, according to Warren Lee, Director of the County Department of Public Works.
Both lanes of traffic will remain open for the duration of the project; construction hours are expected to be 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. on weekdays. No work is scheduled for weekends or holidays.
Weather permitting, the improvements should be completed by the end of October 2010, at an estimated cost of $4.5 million.
To keep the community updated on the project%u2019s progress, Goodfellow Bros. will hold weekly public meetings; time and place of these meetings are yet to be determined, says Lee.
View Printer Friendly Version
Email Article to Friend
Great news in the long term, but short term pilikia.